Irish Soda Bread With Stout Butter
Starters & Snacks
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 tsp. coarse kosher salt
- 4 tbsp. salted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tbsp. dark molasses
- 2 tsp. toasted caraway seeds
- 2 tbsp. salted butter, melted (optional)
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Irish stout
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
Prep the dough
- Grease and flour 3-Qt./3 L Casserole base and cone of the TupperWave Stack Cooker. Place cone in center of Stack Cooker and set aside. In a Thatsa Large Bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt. Rub butter into flour mixture until coarse crumbs form. Create a well in the center of the flour. In a Thatsa Mini Bowl, whisk together buttermilk and molasses. Pour buttermilk mixture into the well. Using a spatula or fork, pull flour into the buttermilk until a crumbly dough forms. Knead dough briefly until dry pieces just come together
- do not overmix. Dough will look scrappy and uneven.
Cook the dough
- Drop 3"/7.6 cm pieces of dough into the buttered Stack Cooker, forming a loose ring of dough around the cone. If desired, pour 2 tbsp. of melted butter over the top of the dough. Microwave on high power, uncovered, 8 minutes. Remove from microwave. Let stand 10 minutes before removing from Stack Cooker.
Make the glaze, store or serve
- Meanwhile, make the butter. In a Thatsa Medium Bowl, stir together butter, stout and sugar until well combined. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve. Serve with sliced Irish Soda Bread.